Monday, August 17, 2009

And This Is Why I Need to Take Notes During the Sermon

First, I need to introduce a new "character" in the blog: "Father Z", assistant rector of my church. Yeah, I know these are really cheesy pseudonyms, but I'm too lazy to think of "real" fake names.

Anyway, I left church Sunday thinking, "Wow! That was a really great sermon!" And, sorry to say this, Fr. Z, but while I still remember some key points, the particulars of why I thought it was really great have faded away. Some people have a memory like a steel trap. Mine is more like a steel sieve.

I do remember the link between the Old Testament prohibition against consuming blood and the New Testament story of Christ saying that one must eat His flesh and drink His blood in order to have life within. We have sanitized this story so much that it's reduced to symbols. When Jesus said it, however, it wasn't a symbol that He was talking about. That's what made it so scandalous to the people who had heard Him.

Anyway...I'll take notes next Sunday. Then I'll have something a bit more concrete than a feeling that I had heard Something Important.

Blessings,
E

1 comment:

Helen said...

It sounds from what I just read that you and I are in complete agreement on Holy Communion. (I know that not all Episcopalians believe in transubstantiation. I'm Roman Catholic, btw)
I find that sometimes the priest has an EXCELLENT first half of the homily, and then does not have as much point toward the end, and I not only don't get the ending, I lost what I had in the first place. I never see anyone taking notes. Maybe I'll be the first, and start a trend. ;-)