Thursday, February 11, 2010

It's hard to do the right thing -- why?

It is interesting how hard it is for people (including me) to do the right thing. Tonight I came home from work to see my grandson, S, standing in a corner and crying because he did not want to help his mom put away his toys. Even when putting away his toys would mean certain freedom and playtime with Nana (me), he still refused to put the toys away. This continued for several minutes, forever, in a two-year-old's time frame.

It took a while, but I finally convinced him to put away his cars, a few at a time. Then all was well in his little world and we danced to the kids' music blaring from our TV.

So the question remains: Why is it so hard for people to do the right thing, even when doing so usually brings pleasurable results?

I'll think about this a bit and blog my thoughts. Meanwhile, if you have any thoughts on the subject, please share.

No comments: