Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Short Reflection on Psalm 121

Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills,
From where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,
The maker of heaven and earth.

From The Psalter of the Book of Common Prayer 1979


The psalm is one of comfort and encouragement, and has been one of my go-to psalms when I need assurance of God's presence and protection.  Years ago, I made myself a pocket card so I can carry these words with me.

When I'm faced with a particularly daunting challenge, I am reminded of God's presence in the form of these words.  They are, simultaneously, a warm blanket (The Bible is not a "warm fuzzies" book – be glad when you do find a warm, fuzzy section.) and strong armor, preparing me to meet whatever trials I may encounter.

Do you find comfort and strength in the Psalms?  Which ones speak to you?


No comments: